This is the meal you bring out when you really need to Feed the Fam.
It’s a hearty meal for big eaters. It’s great to serve as an appetizer for a big crowd or as a casual meal on game day!
Stuffed Bread is budget friendly, filling and simple!
When my kids were both still in diapers I would call my Aunt June for simple family recipes that were affordable. She always had the best recipes and I still use a bunch of them. This is one she suggested and it is still one of my family favorites.
I always make this with a quick crushed tomato sauce. You can use any sauce of your choice, but this one is super easy and delicious.
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***
- 1 hearty loaf of Italian bread
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese(pecorino romano or parmesan)
- 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare your crushed tomato sauce or sauce of your choice…
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Slice the Italian bread in half lengthwise.
- Take out the insides to make room for the meat mixture. Place the bread on a large pan.
- In a large skillet brown the beef.
- Drain the fat. Place in a medium bowl.
- Add the grated cheese, season with salt and pepper, and mix.
- In the same skillet, saute the onions until they brown and soften.
- Fill one side of the bread with as much meat mixture as you can.
- Top with the mozzarella and onions.
- Drizzle the top with your sauce.
- Carefully place the other side of the bread on top and wrap the whole loaf in aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Slice into individual servings and serve with tomato sauce.
If you like this recipe, you’ll like these…
Mita’s Slow Cooker Chicken
Sausage and Peppers
Slow Cooker Blizzard Soup