This is my sister Jen’s Blizzard Soup in the slow cooker version! It is easy, filling, and delicious! It is on the top list of my families favorite soup/meal. If you are interested in the regular stove top version click here.
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***
Click here to shop your favorite Pampered Chef Products.
Slow Cooker Blizzard Soup
- 1 bag of lentils or mixed beans with lentils (believe it or not, when I went to go get lentils at Uncle Guiseppe’s they were all out of lentils, because a storm was on its way. So instead I got mixed beans with lentils in it. You can use either.)
- 1 lb. of Ground sausage(out of the casing)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. of butter
- one onion, chopped
- 4 -5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 – 5 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth or vegetable stock
- one small can of tomato sauce(optional)
- In a large skillet brown the sausage. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the pot and drain.
- Place sausage in slow cooker.
- In the same pan, heat one tablespoon of olive oil and butter. Saute the onion, carrots, and celery until tender. Towards the end add the garlic and saute for one more minute.
- Place the vegetables in the slow cooker with the sausage.
- Rinse the lentils and put in the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Set to low for 6 hours.
- About an hour before it is done, add the can of tomato sauce, stir, and cover until finished.
Serve with grated cheese on top and warm, crispy Italian bread.
Some other yummy soups…
Shhh.. it’s a secret
Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Stove Top Chicken Soup
Italian Wedding Soup