by Jennifer Stagnitta
This is a recipe I got my friend Stephanie. I double the recipe she gave me so we have leftovers! I make this once a week. It is healthy and delicious. (Ingredients below are already doubled for you)
Italian Wedding Soup
- 2 lbs. of mini meatballs(I buy mine at Uncle Giuseppe’s because it saves me a lot of time)
- If you are not buying pre-made meatballs use this basic meatball recipe that is delicious! It works great for turkey meatballs also.
- 2 Tbsp. of butter
- 1 cup of onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 16 cups of chicken broth
- 1 box of acini de pepi (little round pastas)
- 1 full head of escarole, rinsed and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated pecorino romano cheese
- Prepare meatballs and roast ahead of time if not buying pre-made.
- In a large pot melt the butter.
- Add the carrots, onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until tender(About 5 minutes)
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Drop in the meatballs and cook until heated through.
- Add the escarole. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta per directions on box.(I keep the pasta separate and add it to individual bowls of soup.)
- Add a little pasta to a bowl and cover with the soup! Top with grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***