Ali’s birthday dinner
One of my mom’s specialties is her breaded and baked chicken cutlets. It’s really very hard to get them exactly like hers, but they come close. You can use this recipe for chicken cutlets or pork cutlets. My mom used to go to the butcher and get stacks of chicken cutlets sliced paper thin. That really is the key to these being perfect. But I usually pick up the big pack of thin sliced cutlets at BJ’s and use them. They are the thinnest I can find and I get a good price for a big bunch of them. The reason these are so good is because they are crispy just like a fried cutlet, but better!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of Italian Seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup of Panko seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of Grated pecorino Romano cheese
- Big package of thin sliced chicken(or pork) cutlets
- Preheat oven to bake 425 or bake 450(It all depends on your oven. You want it to be hot! I have a double oven and the bottom one is hotter than the top. I put the top on 450 and the bottom on 425)
- You will need big sheet pans. Maybe 2 or 3 pans so that the cutlets are spread out. (They will not cook right if they are too crowded in the pan.)
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of each pan. More than you would normally use. Try and spread the oil around so it coats the whole pan.
- You will need two dishes with high edges. In one dish put the eggs and some water(About 3 tablespoons) Whisk together.
- In the other dish, mix together both types of breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Dip each cutlet in the egg and let the excess egg drip off, then dip in the bread crumb mixture and shake off excess crumbs. Place cutlets in single layer on oiled sheet pans. Make sure they are not crowded in the pan. (Most people dip the cutlets in flour first. My mom never did that, so we don’t. And they come out amazing!)
- Once they are in the pan drizzle with olive oil. (Make sure they have enough oil. Otherwise they will not cook.)
- Put the pans in the oven. After about 8-10 minutes take them out and check the bottom of the cutlets to see if they are browning. Once they are brown on the bottom, turn them over and bake for another 8 – 10 minutes until they are crispy and cooked through.
- When they are done place a paper towel on a big platter and layer the cutlets with paper towels in between to collect any excess oil.
These may not come out perfect the first time you make them, but don’t give up. Because once you perfect them, it will be a meal everyone will enjoy and ask for over and over again!
You can serve with spaghetti and marinara sauce or you can serve it with a simple tomato salad and rice! No matter what it will be a great meal. Enjoy!
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***