I’ve been eating homemade chicken soup since I’m a little girl. My grandma used to make it and freeze it in containers. My mom did the same thing. My mom’s note: She used to make it the day before, because overnight the fat settles on the top. She would scoop off the fat, heat and serve.
The smell and taste of homemade chicken soup is so comforting. If you are hanging out at home and have time to cook, this is a great meal to prepare early. If you are busy and can’t sit around cooking all day, check out my slow cooker chicken soup recipe. They are basically the same. This one has a few more steps.
Stove Top Chicken Soup
- Whole chicken cut up(I buy it already cut up)
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/2 tsp. of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 2 tiny cans of tomato sauce
- 1 bag of egg noodles
- 4 cups of water
- Grated Pecorino Romano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot cover the chicken in water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the pot.
- Remove the bones(do not discard) and shred the chicken.
- Set the chicken aside and return the bones to the broth.
- Cover and simmer on low for another 45 minutes.
- Remove the bones from the broth. Make sure you get all the little bones.
- In a large skillet, saute the carrots, celery, and onion in EVOO and a little bit of butter until tender. Towards the end, add the garlic and saute for one or two more minutes. Throw in the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Add the vegetables to the broth and stir.
- Add the spices: salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and turmeric. (Turmeric gives a great color to the soup and it’s a natural anti-inflammatory!)
- Place the shredded chicken in the pot and stir again. Cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the noodles per package directions and set aside.
- Add the two tiny cans of tomato sauce and stir. Cook on low for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Place some noodles in the bottom of a bowl. Place chicken soup on top. Grate a little Pecorino Romano cheese on top and enjoy!
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***
Click here to shop your favorite Pampered Chef Products.