This is one of those meals that I make if I need to feed a lot of hungry people. You can make it all ahead and then just heat and serve. It’s filling and delicious. I either serve it with a big loaf of Italian bread OR add potatoes to the recipe. This time I added potatoes and it was yummy!
Sausage and Peppers
- 3 rings of Italian sausage(I bought cheese and parsley sausage from Whole Foods. You can get mild, sweet, or spicy.)
- 6-8 peppers, seeded and sliced(I use mostly cubanelle peppers and then add a couple of red bell)
- 4 white potatoes, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced or sliced
- salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Unfold sausage rings and cut with kitchen scissors to pieces about the size of a hot dog.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes turning halfway. Put to the side until vegetables are done. (The sausages should be brown, but not too overdone because you will be cooking them again. You can also throw them on the grill and they would be even better!)
- Place the peppers, potatoes, onion and garlic in a separate baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano. Toss to coat evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes turning a couple of times so everything gets cooked evenly.
- Add the sausages to the baking sheet with the vegetables. Pour the can of sauce on top and mix it all together so everything is coated.
- At this point you can put the whole tray in the fridge until about a half hour before you are ready to eat. When you are ready put it back in the oven until hot(about 20 minutes).
This is one of those dishes that I always remember having in the summer as a kid. I feel like it was always served in an aluminum dish or baking dish.
And this is a must if you are bringing sausages and peppers to a friend’s house. It will keep it warm and maybe it won’t spill all over the car on your way!