In our house Sunday is a day of rest. We really don’t want to go anywhere if we don’t have to. We like to lounge at home in our sweats and watch a movie or two. The greatest thing about lounging around on a Sunday is the smell of whatever is cooking for dinner.
I encourage everyone to slow down on Sunday and enjoy dinner with your family. Especially if it involves pasta and eggplant! Sometimes if we’re lucky we get to have dinner with my parents. A few weeks ago we had my parents over for Sunday dinner and I made rigatoni with roasted eggplant and ricotta. So delicious.
Rigatoni with Roasted Eggplant and Ricotta
- 3 eggplants(I used a variety: one regular eggplant, one Sicilian eggplant and one Japanese eggplant)
- salt and pepper
- 6 garlic cloves sliced thin
- 1 tsp. of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2- 28 oz.cans of crushed tomatoes
- 2 pounds of rigatoni
- 1 cup of grated cheese(pecorino romano)
- A big bunch of fresh basil shredded
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to roast 400 degrees
- Remove the skin from the eggplant if using regular eggplant
- Chop eggplant into bite sized pieces
- Heavily coat a baking sheet with olive oil and toss the eggplant in the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 25 minutes or until nice and browned. Turn the eggplant a couple of times while cooking.(I usually do this in the morning and the rest as dinner time gets closer)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
- In a large skillet heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until golden. Add the crushed tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Season lightly with salt(This is one of my favorite simple sauces. So easy, but so amazing!)
- Cook sauce on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the rigatoni to the boiling water and cook per directions on the box.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the large pot it was cooking in.
- Add about a 1/2 cup of sauce to coat the pasta.
- Add a cup of grated cheese and basil.
- Stir in the roasted eggplant.
- Slowly add the ricotta and toss lightly.
- Add a little more sauce if needed.