This is such a great dinner to fill the family, but it is also great to entertain with. You can make it ahead and bake before serving. This is a recipe from Lidia Bastianich. She is an Italian chef and has amazing simple recipes. I changed it a little, not because it needed it, but because my family eats a lot! And I simplified it a little, I think…
- 12 oz. bag Arborio Rice(you can use white long grain rice if that’s what you have)
- 8 Cubanella or banana peppers(if you can’t find them you can use sweet bell peppers, but these taste so good)
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- about 2 pounds of meatloaf mix(I used ground chuck and pork)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup of grated cheese
- a big handful of Italian parsley
- 2 tsp. of dried oregano
- 28 oz. can of tomato sauce
You can do all the prep work ahead of time and bake when ready!
- Cook the rice in salted water for about 12 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cut the stems from the peppers and scrape out the seeds. Wash and pat dry.
- Brush the outside of the peppers with olive oil and roast on 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through.
- In a medium skillet brown the meat over medium heat. Drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir in the onion until wilted. Scrape the onion in to a large bowl.
- Add the meat to the large bowl.
- Add as much rice as you prefer to the meat and onion.
- Add chopped parsley, oregano, egg and cheese. Stir.
- Divide the filling among the peppers. Place them in a baking dish. You will have a lot extra of the meat and rice mixture. Fill the extra space in the baking dish with the meat and rice. I do this because my kids don’t eat the peppers, only the filling.
- Pour the tomato sauce over all the peppers and meat. I use a lot, because we like it like that. Use as much as you would like.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake until it is hot and bubbly. About 30-40 minutes.
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***