I’ve been eating homemade chicken soup since I’m a little girl. My grandma used to make it and freeze it in containers. My mom did the same thing. My mom’s note: She used to make it the day before, because overnight the fat settles on the top. She would scoop off the fat, heat and serve.
The smell and taste of homemade chicken soup is so comforting, but not everyone can sit around and wait for the chicken to boil, then shred it and boil the bones for another hour. We are busy and can’t sit around cooking all day. I’ve adjusted my mom’s chicken soup and made it a little easier, but still soooooo delicious. It is my son Dominick’s favorite meal. I have a couple of secret ingredients that make it extra special. I don’t usually have enough leftovers to freeze it for another night!
***My posts contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.***
Click here to shop your favorite Pampered Chef Products.
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- Whole chicken cut up(I buy it already cut up)
- 1 onion chopped
- 5 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. of white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 2 tiny cans of tomato sauce
- 1 bag of egg noodles
- 4 cups of water
- 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- Grated pecorino Romano
- Saute the carrots, celery, and onion in EVOO and a little bit of butter until tender.(This is one of the secrets to making the slow cooker version as tasty as the regular one) Towards the end, add the garlic and saute for one or two more minutes. Throw in the parsley and remove from the heat.
- Place veggies in the slow cooker.
- Add the spices: salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaf and turmeric. (Turmeric is one of the other secrets. It gives a great color to the soup and it’s a natural anti-inflammatory!)
- Mix the veggies and spices together and place the chicken on top. Cover the chicken with 4 cups of water and 4 cups of chicken broth.
- Set on high for 6 hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken pieces and the bay leaf.
- Remove and discard all the bones. Shred the chicken. Put the chicken back in the slow cooker. Add the two tiny cans of tomato sauce. (That is the last secret you NEED to know about. My sister Ali said that is what her mother in law does and honestly it really makes it better!)
- Set on high for 1 more hour.
- Meanwhile, boil the noodles. Drain and set aside.
- Place some noodles in the bottom of a bowl. Place chicken soup on top. Grate a little pecorino Romano cheese on top and enjoy!
Other soups you need to try…
Spinach Tortellini Soup
Slow Cooker Blizzard Soup
Stove Top Chicken Soup