I’ve been making meatloaf for years for my family. It’s a great meal to fill everyone up. I’ve switched to turkey meatloaf to make it healthier, but it’s just not the same. I’ve tried so many different recipes but my son Dominick doesn’t like them. I think they are filled with too many ingredients. So I’ve been going back to my mom’s basic meatloaf and he loves it! Honestly, it’s so much better simpler. My sister Ali recently made it for her family. See her ingredients and instructions below.
By Alexandra Salvatore
- 1.5 ish lbs mixed chopped meat (called meatloaf mix at butcher – contains, pork, veal and beef)
- 4-5 Chopped garlic cloves
- One small onion chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- Pecorino Romano grated cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- Pre-heat oven on 425 degrees.
- Sauté garlic and onion in EVOOO until light brown and tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients (except the tomatoe sauce and panko bread crumbs)
- Once everything looks well mixed in the bowl, pour in the panko breadcrumbs.
- Mix again. Mixture shouldn’t feel dry.
- Mold your meatloaf into the shape of the pan that you are using. A flatter, wider loaf will cook much faster.
- Before you bake, pour the tomato sauce on top. You can sprinkle a little bit of grated cheese on top.
- Bake at 425 for about an hour or until it reaches an internal temp of 160 F.
I served it with garlic/butter stuffed mushrooms asparagus and a light romaine salad.